god i miss tomatoes...

* god i miss tomatoes already *

Saturday, February 6, 2010

grilled chanterelle mushrooms

it's been so long since I cooked. as you may or may not know, I broke my ankle and have been hobbling around for the last month or so, unable to lift pots and pans or stand over the stove. recently i've been feeling much better, and, faced with the threat of a snowstorm (which would have severely limited my movements about brooklyn had it been a legitimate threat...stupid fearmongering meteorologists) I decided to stock up on some good groceries and cook for the first time in what seemed like forever.

I went to whole foods on the lower east side and discovered they were selling chanterelle mushrooms for 29.99/lb. so i bought two--total cost: $6. it was worth it, trust me. I made grilled chanterelle mushrooms with fleur de sel over wilted spinach, and sourdough toast with oregano butter.
I used the same pan for everything! all i did was brush the mushrooms with a mild olive oil, heat a grill pan over medium-high, and grilled a slice of bread and the mushrooms simultaneously. When the mushrooms were tender and juicy and the bread was nicely toasted, I removed each from the heat and briefly threw on some spinach to wilt. I then spread the toast with butter mixed with oregano and salt, and sprinkled some fleur de sel de guerande over the mushrooms and spinach. the chanterelles were great! they are so delicious and mild and benefited from the slight caramelization brought on by grilling.


just a note on the salt: get some good salt, people. just do it. i think a lot of people who are "bad cooks" just don't really know how to use salt (and other seasonings), so get acquainted with it! try different kinds... there are so many great varieties with marked differences in flavor. and yeah, "fancy salt" costs a lot, but it lasts a long time.

I drank a delicious glass of soave with this and then went to see teengirl fantasy and neon indian because it didn't snow until way later, and even then not very much.

also...soon I will be able to make my own sourdough bread, as I am taking a class at the Brooklyn Kitchen with Annie in two weeks. details forthcoming.

1 comment:

  1. My life is complete! The P Fizzle is back!!

    And yes, I CANT WAIT for the bread class. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete