god i miss tomatoes...

* god i miss tomatoes already *

Thursday, September 30, 2010

summer tomato recap, pt. 1



I don't know if I've told you, but tomatoes are my favorite food. I mean in-season tomatoes. I feel a little sad when I can't have them, which is most of the year, and try to convince myself that parsnips are equally as versatile and delicious. Which simply isn't true.

I got sort of busy this summer, or at least distracted, by rock music and road trips and gardening, which is why I haven't posted in so long. My apologies! I will be vigilant henceforth.

Promises I may not keep aside, the next few posts will serve as a logue of a few of the recipes from this summer's tomato season which has, sadly, come to a close.

1) Heirloom cherry tomato sausage bake with fresh herbs

After a rather awful house party experience here at Pizza Forest, my dear friend and facebook spouse Alex Iezzi owed me an apology. I won't say for what, but he apologized with an a
repa from Caracas and 2+ lbs of heirloom cherry tomatoes, which are surely, if nothing else, the keys to this girl's heart. They were beautiful, and are pictured above.

I tossed the cherry tomatoes in my dutch oven with parsley, oregano, rosemary, thyme, a bay
leaf, salt, pepper, and one chopped clove of garlic with the oven pre-heating to around 350. I put some locally-sourced, sustainable hot Italian sausages atop the tomatoes and roasted in the oven for about 35 minutes, uncovered, turning the sausages once, and giving the tomatoes a little stir a few times, until I had this delightful dish. I made a simple greens salad and had a baguette on hand. This was a spectacularly rustic mid-summer supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment