god i miss tomatoes...

* god i miss tomatoes already *

Thursday, September 30, 2010

tomatoes pt 3: peas and tomatoes should be seasonally in sync and it's not fair that they're not

It isn't really fair that the best peas come in spring and the best tomatoes in summer, but frozen organic peas can actually taste nearly as good as the fresh ones and honestly, when combined with tomatoes, oh my god, let's just say it's a match made in heaven. My friend Fiona, who has loyally eaten almost everything I've ever made, remarked about a recent pea and tomato ravioli (details below) that it was the best thing I've ever made. But first the pizza, which was way easier to make and I would absolutely recommend making in your own home next summer.

3) Pizza with mozzarella, pureed peas, tomatoes and pecorino

The key to great pizza at home is allowing the dough you either make or buy to rise in your refrigerator for a couple of days. It really makes for a lighter, crispier end product in a home oven that can only responsibly reach around 500 degrees. I bake mine at 450. Allow the dough to reach room temperature and knead it on a floured surface, begin to roll it out into the shape of whatever pan or stone you have. I use a rectangular baking sheet usually, and apply olive oil to the sheet and spread it around before plopping my stretched dough over that and spreading it out to nearly reach the corners. I then add whatever toppings I desire and add a little extra oil and salt to the outside edges. This pizza involved a puree of peas sauteed with garlic over sliced local mozzarella, sliced heirloom cherry and green tomatoes, and a liberal application of grated percorino romano over top. Peas with pecorino is one of the best flavor combinations I've ever tasted, and combined with garlic, sweet and tart tomatoes, and rich mozzarella, it was absolutely delicious!

4) Minted pea ravioli with slow-roasted cherry tomatoes (vegan)

Peas with mint is also a classic combination, so I decided to stuff eggless ravioli with a puree of peas, mint leaves, toasted pine nuts, and a touch of organic tofu cream cheese and top that with garlicky roasted cherry tomatoes. Note that rolling and punching out individual ravioli takes forever, and that I want a pasta machine for Christmas.

I was cooking for around 10 or more people, so I made a huge pile of ravioli, with about a cup of roasted pine nuts, a very loosely packed half cup of mint leaves, two packages of organic peas, a quarter cup of tofu cream cheese, and salt and pepper in the filling. I used two cartons of local heirloom cherry tomatoes and two cloves of garlic for the topping, slow-roasted with a bit of olive oil to coat at 250 degrees for around an hour. I garnished this with additional mint leaves. Apparently this is the best thing I've ever cooked, and it was a huge hit at Coasting's west coast tour kick-off dinner party. If you have a pasta maker, have at it. If not, you must love your friends as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment