god i miss tomatoes...

* god i miss tomatoes already *

Monday, December 14, 2009

great make-ahead lunch for you working-types

Cannelloni beans with parmiggiano, bacon and sage

What did I do with the bacon I had left over from the bread pudding? Well, some of it is still in the fridge, and will be put to use tomorrow when I make a soup based on this great warm bean dish.

I brought this as a side dish to my good friend Natalie Thrall's birthday dinner party, hosted by her wonderful boyfriend Andy (they are both wonderful cooks) at his place in greenpoint. Which reminds me, I have to pick up my pyrex and those champagne flutes...

This is one of the easiest things to make that I can think of. Fry 2 strips of bacon in a saute pan, and in the meanwhile drain a can of cannelloni beans, roughly chop 6 or so good-sized sage leaves, and grate around 1/2 cup of parmiggiano. When the bacon is done, let it cool before chopping, and drain most of the fat from the saute pan. Keep the pan on medium-low heat and add sage, cook until aromatic, then add the beans, chopped bacon and parmiggiano. Stir together as the mixture heats up, being careful not to mash up the beans too badly.

This goes nicely over mixed greens, or just paired with a couple slices of good crusty bread, and is delicious hot or room-temperature. Throw that shit in a tupperware, wrap up a slice of bread and brown-bag it with style for lunch tomorrow.

Oh, and have I told you how into Sicilian Nero D'Avola/Syrah blends I am? This one is worth a try:

No comments:

Post a Comment