god i miss tomatoes...

* god i miss tomatoes already *

Saturday, December 5, 2009

if you can't stand the cold, get into the kitchen

Today the apartment was cold. The weather is, how do you say...not great, and the heat apparently is not on. Josie suggested tea, which was an excellent idea, but I had bigger plans. You see, I have just become the recipient of a beautiful, refurbished vintage copper gratin pan from the brooklyn kitchen (thanks, mom).

I purchased zucchini, half and half, and gruyere yesterday, there was parmiggiano in the fridge, and luckily Josie had some nutmeg. And what would warm the apartment better than a hot oven?

After sauteeing the zucchini (3 small zucchini) in olive oil with salt and pepper, allowing them to caramelize slightly, I let them cool and then arranged them in the gratin dish. I sprinkled grated gruyere and parmiggiano reggiano between the layers of zucchini slices, and poured over top a mixture of half and half whisked with one egg and seasoned with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Then i sprinkled a bit more cheese on top and threw it in a 375-degree oven until the liquid was firm, at which point I raised the temp to 500 until the top was nicely browned (only a few minutes).

It turned out quite well, I think. Perfect for a cold late-autumn day!

3 comments:

  1. Fuck Yeah! Just yesterday I caught myself trying to visualize the types of gratin I could make while lurking in Sur La Table (and trying to convince myself to buy shit)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're such a fuckin lurker thrall

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, you are amazing! i want one of these dishes so bad for so exactly this reason (warm, one-pot comfort food using MAXIMUM CHEESE).

    ReplyDelete