god i miss tomatoes...

* god i miss tomatoes already *

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

grilled whole baby octopus

I am currently living the high (culinary) life at my parents' house...my mom loves to cook and excels at it (my dad, who may enjoy good food, has no idea how to cook--god bless 'im--and is more of the order-italian-food-when-my-wife's-outta-town-type). Linda J, as my mom is more commonly known, has a kitchen complete with fancy stainless steel appliances, marble countertops, and every cooking gadget known to man (except a stand mixer, which she just bought me for christmas! i'm gonna make so much sausage...)

I went grocery shopping today and to my delight whole foods had whole baby octopus for $10/lb, so I bought one on a whim and it cost about $4. I freaked my sister Judy out by holding it up and making it dance because I am a very mature and composed adult and I take cooking very seriously. Honestly it did look a little creepy raw--
After trimming off the thin tentacle-ends, I marinated the octopus in a puree of 1/4 cup sage (so into sage right now) with the juice of 1 lemon, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
While it was marinating I brushed a grill pan with oil and heated it on the stove until it was really, really hot. Then I grilled the octopus and it kinda looked like it was coming back to life because it puffed up and the legs curled! It looked a little scary but it smelled SO good.

The octopus is done when it is firm. Octopus anatomy is, strangely enough, perfect for grilling whole without overcooking, and here's why: the thickest part of the octopus is where the tentacles join together, and as the head firms and the tentacles curl up as they cook through, you can just plop the octopus down as though it is sitting on your (grill) pan to finish.

I had prepared some quinoa in advance and tossed it with arugula, crumbled ricotta salata, and a white wine vinaigrette for a simple salad. I deconstructed the octopus and plated it in bite-sized pieces next to the arugula salad.
My little sister was too weirded out by the octopus to try it, and I was super pissed because it was so delicious and I had no one to share it with! I'll have to cook this for a dinner party in Brooklyn some time. I couldn't believe how easy it was, and how inexpensive!

1 comment:

  1. you got a stand mixer for christmas?? Now THAT'S the good life.

    If you ever want to talk sausage-making, let me know. We can drink some wine and rehash the great sausage farce of 2009 (where I made three types of sausage for easter brunch and got entirely too comfortable with Sheep intestines).

    ReplyDelete